Author: sportsnewsuk
Mykhailo Mudryk ban: Chelsea winger free to return to football after doping case resolved
Sources close to Mudryk say he is confident of returning to his best form, citing the work he has put in to maintain his fitness during 20 months on the sidelines.They also point to the support Chelsea have provided throughout the process, while adhering to the restrictions imposed by his suspension and respecting the legal proceedings.The Ukrainian received backing from the club from afar, while also being given the space to navigate what those close to him describe as an extremely difficult period.Under the terms of the suspension, Mudryk was unable to access Chelsea’s training ground or work with club…
Ireland v Afghanistan ODI series: Security plans ‘in place’ amid possibility of protests
Neither England nor Australia schedule bilateral series against Afghanistan, although they fulfil fixtures against them at major international tournaments.Cricket Ireland chief executive Sarah Keane said shortly after she was appointed earlier this year the decision to host Afghanistan this summer came with some “moral discomfort” given the plight of women in the country.Female participation in sport has effectively been outlawed since the Tailban returned to power in 2021.Women have been banned from universities, parks and sports. The Taliban raided the homes of female athletes and many women’s cricketers fled Afghanistan for their safety.Keane was recently appointed to the International Cricket…
“We’re pushing for the Boots fight because that’s the biggest fight out there of that division. That’s the biggest fight. That’s the fight that we want because I think we already owe it to ourselves and to the world,” Robert Garcia said to Fight Hub TV. “It’s already been twice where things go back and forth and then the fight doesn’t happen. That’s the fight Golden Boy is going to push for. We’re pushing for. Our first choice is to go after Boots, hopefully by November.” Robert reinforced that stance when asked if Ortiz needed a comeback fight following the…
England’s Acelya Toprak overcame India’s Yamini Mourya in the women’s -57kg judo final to win the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.In an exhausting bout that went to golden score and lasted almost seven minutes, Toprak eventually forced Mourya into a third shido to claim victory.The 28-year-old had won silver in 2022 but managed to go one better this time around in Glasgow. “My last Commonwealth Games went exactly the same way. In the final it was two shidos each, we were into four-and-a-half minutes of extra time and I made that one misstep, over-stretched and got caught,” Toprak told…
Ajax have announced the signing of Julian Brandt on a free transfer. Ajax battled Leeds United for Brandt’s signature after his contract at Borussia Dortmund expired last month, and he has signed a three-year deal with the Eredivisie club. Brandt spent seven seasons with Dortmund, making 307 appearances after joining from Bayer Leverkusen in 2019 for a reported €25m. Since the start of the 2019-20 season, Brandt has directly contributed to more goals than any other Dortmund player across all competitions (124 – 57 goals, 67 assists), while also leading in assists. Among all Bundesliga players in that time, he…
Paulie Malignaggi predicts upset in Canelo Alvarez vs Christian Mbilli world title fight
Paulie Malignaggi believes one man’s sheer intensity and work rate will prove decisive when Canelo Alvarez squares off with Christian Mbilli. Their super-middleweight encounter is taking place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on October 31, with Canelo citing family matters as the reason for its postponement from September 12. Yet still, the Mexican is entering a WBC title shot after losing his undisputed crown to Terence Crawford, who emerged with a unanimous decision victory last September. ‘Bud’ then vacated his four belts after announcing his retirement in December, allowing Mbilli to be elevated from ‘interim’ to full WBC champion at 168lbs.…
The Hundred 2026 results: Finn Allen takes Trent Rockets top with against Manchester Super Giants
The Hundred men’s competition, Old TraffordManchester Super Giants 137-3 (100 balls): Buttler 55* (37); Overton 3-23Trent Rockets 140-4 (87 balls): Allen 72 (35); Atkinson 2-27Trent Rockets won by six wicketsScorecard. TableFinn Allen struck an unbeaten 72 as Trent Rockets beat Manchester Super Giants by six wickets to leapfrog their opponents and move top of the Hundred table.Chasing 138, opener Allen struck 11 fours and two sixes in his 35-ball innings, leading Rockets to victory with 13 balls remaining at Old Trafford.Despite their modest target, Rockets did not accelerate towards it until Allen’s back-to-back six and four off Josh Tongue after…
Shakur Stevenson renewed his pursuit of a fight with Devin Haney on Friday, using social media to once again call for a 144-pound catchweight bout. Stevenson has spent months pressing for a 144-pound catchweight instead of meeting Haney at the full welterweight limit. Haney previously indicated he was willing to discuss those terms while negotiations focused on a Stevenson fight. “LETS FIGHT LETS FIGHT LETS FIGHT” #144 👑 — Shakur Stevenson (@ShakurStevenson) July 31, 2026 Shakur’s latest push revives an idea that once looked viable. Haney later agreed to pursue a WBO-ordered bout with Keyshawn Davis, a matchup Bill Haney…
The medal ceremony was just under an hour later.Morris had heard her victories played out for GB with a different anthem but she looked to be overcome when celebrating this one with the Welsh national song.No time to immediately reflect on what she had just achieved though.There was a quick chance for a picture with the Welsh flag and then off it was to the next task.The scratch race started just 10 minutes later where Morris lined up with Welsh team-mates Megan Barker and Carys Lloyd.It looked like they had concocted an almost perfect plan, with Barker going off a…
A full statement has been issued as Carlos Cordeiro quits as Gianni Infantino’s senior adviser at FIFA in protest at proposals. Cordeiro had stepped down with immediate effect as backlash continues over plans to sell a stake in the World Cup, calling it “a bad deal for football”. An emergency meeting was held on Thursday afternoon with all UEFA countries becoming the first to unanimously support a boycott, in protest at FIFA’s plan to sell stakes in tournament to private investors. CONCACAF – the football confederation for teams in North America, Central America and the Caribbean – had an emergency…
