Serhii Bohachuk, the WBC’s No. 2-rated junior middleweight, faces off against veteran Patrick Allotey with promoter Tom Loeffler in the background. Photo by Lina Baker / 360 Promotions
SANTA YNEZ, California – Junior middleweight contender Serhii Bohachuk wanted to fight more rounds, but will take a knockout win on his journey towards a world title shot.
Bohachuk knocked out former world title challenger Patrick Allotey in the opening round Saturday night at the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, California.
— UFC FIGHT PASS (@UFCFightPass) July 23, 2023
The hard-hitting Bohachuk improved to 23-1, 23 knockouts.
Bohachuk, who is originally from Ukraine and now resides in Los Angeles, worked methodically behind a jab from the opening bell.
With less than a minute left in the round, Bohachuk landed a sweeping right cross to the chin, dropping Allotey face-first to the canvas. Allotey did get up after the count of nine, but referee Jack Reiss waved the fight off at 2:33 to the surprise of Allotey.
Several moments passed before a despondent and upset Allotey finally took the gloves off, as instructed by an inspector with the California State Athletic Commission.
The 28-year-old previously fought on January 27, knocking out former contender Nathaniel Gallimore in the sixth round. Bohachuk has now won his five bouts since losing by knockout to Brandon Adams in March 2021, in a fight he was ahead on the scorecards at the time of the stoppage.
Promoter Tom Loeffler announced Bohachuk, who is ranked No. 2 by the WBC, will return to action on November 10 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
“Serhii is ready for a world title shot now,” said Loeffler after the fight. “Whether it’s for the vacant WBC world title or if (Jermell) Charlo decides to move down after the Canelo (Alvarez) fight, I would like to make that fight happen.
Allotey, who resides in Accra, Ghana, falls to 42-5, 32 KOs. The 32-year-old had won his previous two fights since losing by knockout to then-WBO world junior middleweight titleholder Jaime Munguia in September 2019.
In the co-feature, featherweight Omar Trinidad dropped Roberto Meza twice en route to a sixth round knockout victory.
Trinidad, who resides in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles, improved to 13-0-1, 10 KOs.
The 27-year-old began walking Meza down during the second round, connecting with a series of right crosses to the head. Midway during the third round, a left hook to the head dropped Meza to the canvas. Meza was able to beat the count, but began receiving punishment from the thudding punches Trinidad was connecting.
Early in the fifth round, Trinidad again dropped Meza to the canvas. Although he was game and tried to fight back, Meza was not able to keep Trinidad off of him.
Trinidad’s high-volume and accurate power punches took their toll on Meza. After a combination to the head connected again, Meza’s corner threw in the towel, prompting referee Sharon Sands to step in and stop the fight at 1:16.
Meza, who resides in Temecula, California, falls to 15-4-1, 8 KOs.
In a clash of unbeaten light heavyweights prospects, Umar Dzambekov defeated Kwame Ritter by unanimous decision. Scores were 79-73, 79-73, and 78-74 for Dzambekov, who improved to 6-0, 4 KOs.
After an even start, Dzambekov began to land more at will during the fourth round. Dzambekov’s punches split Ritter’s guard, landing to the head, but his punches also connected to the body of Ritter.
As the bout progressed, Ritter’s punch output dropped considerably. Dzambekov continued to land at will, even momentarily stunning Ritter during the seventh round.
Tom Loeffler, who promotes Dzambekov, told The Ring Dzambekov will return to action on the August 26 Hollywood Fight Nights card at the Commerce Casino in Commerce, California.
Ritter, who resides in New York City, falls to 10-1, 8 KOs.
Lightweight prospect Cain Sandoval dropped Jose Marruffo of Phoenix, Arizona once en route to a knockout win in round 6.
Sandoval, who resides in Sacramento, improved to 10-0, 10 KOs.
The 20-year-old Sandoval dropped Marruffo with a combination to the head at the end of the second round. Marruffo beat the count, but the bell sounded to end the round, preventing Sandoval from following up.
Despite being dropped, Marruffo (14-12-2, 2 KOs) continued being game, catching Sandoval with the occasional counter with the left hand to the head. Sandoval’s punches took their toll on Marruffo, as his face, particularly below his right eye, was bruised.
Towards the end of round 6, a combination to the head momentarily stunned Marruffo, prompting referee Jack Reiss to stop the fight at 2:38.
Bantamweight prospect Narek Abgaryan broke down Fresno’s Manuel Manzo (9-8-3, 4 KOs), scoring a knockout win in the sixth round.
Abgaryan, who is originally from Yerevan, Armenia and now resides in Los Angeles, improved to 16-1, 7 KOs.
Manzo was game from the opening bell, but Abgaryan landed the more-effective combinations to Manzo’s head and body. Manzo would throw an abundance of punches, but would get countered with left hooks to the head.
A combination to the head of Manzo early in round 6 prompted referee Sharon Sands to step in and stop the fight at 42 seconds, much to the chagrin of Manzo, but the stoppage was the right call.
In the opening bout of the 360 Boxing Promotion card, amateur standout and flyweight Daniel Barrera (3-0-1, 3 KOs) of Upland, California knocked out Long Beach’s Eduardo Alvarez (0-3-1) at 1:42 of the first round. A left hook to the body dropped Alvarez down and for the count.
In non-televised action, Jorge Maravillo stopped Terry Fernandez (6-2, 6 KOs) of Oakland at 42 seconds of the first round. Maravillo, who resides in Salinas, California, goes to 8-0, 8 KOs.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for The Ring since October 2013 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper. He can be reached at [email protected]