It was a busy, busy, busy weekend of fights, and one that would have been much more so if Lopez-Kambosos had occurred as deliberate.
Tons to speak about, so let’s hop into what might be coming subsequent for the notables in motion this weekend.
“The Monster” monstered once more, roaring through Michael Dasmarinas pretty much like we figured would happen. Dasmarinas (30-3-1, 20 KO) was by no means a menace; this was an Apinun Khongsong/Avni Yildirim-level obligatory title battle. It needed to occur, however actually had no enterprise taking place. And contemplating Dasmarinas beat Kenny Demecillo to get the shot, it’s not like you possibly can go, “Properly, he scored a complete upset and obtained there!” This was simply the IBF ordering a foul eliminator and giving us a foul obligatory title battle.
Inoue (21-0, 18 KO) is the king at 118. Nonito Donaire and John Riel Casimero at the moment are set to battle on Aug. 14 to unify the WBC and WBO titles, and Inoue has the WBA and IBF. Donaire and Casimero were in the house last night, regardless of the actual fact their battle is a PBC-branded Showtime major occasion and this was a High Rank card on ESPN. That vegetation the seed that the Donaire-Casimero winner will get Inoue, and that Guillermo Rigondeaux will shrug and take one other examine to “step apart” a second time. (He’s 41, let him get his cash.)
If that doesn’t come collectively, Inoue is operating out of issues to do at 118, and you’ll in all probability anticipate one other so-so battle if, certainly, the Donaire-Casimero winner fights RIgondeaux late this 12 months or early in 2022. In reality, the bantamweight choices to come back subsequent for Naoya aside from the Donaire-Casimero winner are so uninteresting that it’s not even value going into, actually. None of them can be seen as having a prayer to beat him. If Kazuto Ioka got here up from 115, that is perhaps one thing, a minimum of. However the different high canines at 115 are all busy, too, with orders to battle one another some extra, they usually’re just about all Matchroom-affiliated, too. High Rank’s greatest in-house choice is perhaps Joshua Greer Jr, which — nicely.
Most anticipated Charlo (32-0, 22 KO) would cease Juan Macias Montiel on Saturday. He did not, however principally dominated the battle and gained a transparent choice. Give Montiel (22-5-2, 22 KO) credit score for displaying nice toughness and doing a bit of harm of his personal on the best way to the loss, he gave it the best possible effort he may. He got here to battle and got here to win. He was simply over-matched.
Charlo is 31 and mainly has no person at 160 to battle inside the PBC household. He’s not going to battle Gennadiy Golovkin or Ryota Murata, two different titlists, as they’re headed for one another. The thought for Charlo to face Demetrius Andrade in a WBC/WBO unification has been bandied about lots, by Eddie Hearn and by Chris Mannix, who has a weird obsession with the concept as if the battle would truly be gratifying to look at. However there are not any indications that Charlo needs to battle Andrade, even when — as Hearn says — Andrade could be completely keen to go to a PBC model (Showtime or FOX) for the battle as an alternative of attempting to make it occur on DAZN.
So what then? Charlo may transfer as much as 168. There are higher fights with PBC there — even somebody like Anthony Dirrell would in all probability be extra fascinating than the choices he has left at 160. Montiel was already kinda scraping. There’s clearly David Benavidez, who needs the Charlo battle and has referred to as for it, and if Caleb Plant doesn’t battle Canelo, there’s Plant, too.
Charlo could be giving up a belt to maneuver up, although, and will desire a title battle shortly to make the transfer. And with Plant having the IBF and Canelo Alvarez the opposite three belts within the division, that’s not simple. If Canelo-Plant occurs and Canelo wins and has all 4 belts, that’s not the worst factor. Canelo isn’t signed with a promoter proper now and has no community ties, both. He’s made the smart move as a real cash fighter to search for the very best offers obtainable to him for the short-term, then reassess when these offers are executed.
The transfer up is perhaps the one to make. The timing might be proper for it. His high WBC contenders are Jaime Munguia (doubtless gained’t occur, politics, and so on.), Sergiy Derevyanchenko (been there, beat that), Maciej Sulecki, and Liam Williams. (Montiel was ranked No. 4 going into this battle.) There are not any fascinating fights for Charlo to make at middleweight proper now or within the close to future, aside from a shock and getting Andrade or Munguia, each have a low probability of taking place.
I’ve an excessive amount of admiration for Anderson Silva. I don’t watch MMA as a lot as I want I may lately, as a result of I’m fairly tied up most instances UFC and even Bellator have playing cards, however again in my youthful days I used to be a giant follower, actually preferred the game and nonetheless do once I get an opportunity to tune in.
Anderson Silva’s prime days in combined martial arts coincided with the height of my fandom, mainly. He was marvelous. He obtained outdated, all athletes get outdated. However he obtained his probability to get a sorta-relevant boxing battle lastly at age 46, and he delivered, flustering and clearly beating Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Chavez ought to have gained. If he’d had any life in his sport anymore, he would have. That’s not disrespect to Silva, it’s simply that Silva isn’t knowledgeable boxer. The factor is, Chavez isn’t actually anymore both, and hasn’t been for some years now. He stinks. He completely reeks. I believe he in all probability has extra within the tank than he exhibits, however he’d must be keen to entry that a part of himself, and he isn’t.
Silva’s awkward rhythms and precise effort mixed with Chavez’s full indifference gave Silva a dream night time, mainly. Anderson says he may field once more, and if he does, hey, do the Roy Jones Jr battle. Each have wished to do it ceaselessly. Roy has indicated he’s still interested as recently as March. Possibly you possibly can’t get it sanctioned within the U.S., however you in all probability may in Russia, the place Roy holds citizenship, or someplace else, perhaps Mexico, perhaps you even take it to Brazil. Roy’s often up for adventures.
Jones-Silva gained’t be now even what it will have been in 2008 or 2012, nevertheless it may nonetheless be one thing as a approach for the boys to make some cash and simply have the assembly they’ve lengthy wished. Even if you happen to do it as an exhibition, if it’s enjoyable and other people get pleasure from it and even some nonetheless need to see it, that’s value one thing.
However don’t put Silva in with anybody related in 2021. That’s nonsense. He is aware of that, I’m positive. Chavez was picked for a cause. Jones would occur for a cause.
Munguia’s win over Kamil Szeremeta was about as anticipated. Szeremeta gave it the outdated European degree attempt, however he had nothing to trouble Munguia (37-0, 30 KO), as a result of Szeremeta is technically sound however not slick, doesn’t transfer lots. Fights just like Munguia in a approach, besides Szeremeta doesn’t have any energy. So two guys who battle fairly straight-ahead and primary, besides one can punch and the opposite can’t, actually, the end result is all the time going to be what we obtained.
Munguia is 24 so nonetheless younger, however anybody nonetheless holding out hope that he’s going to dramatically enhance ought to in all probability let that go. He’s the fighter he’s going to be, he may get a bit of higher at what he does, perhaps tighten up form of primary protection a bit, however he’s by no means going to be an excellent defensive fighter. And I believe he is aware of that, too. He is aware of he’s not fleet of foot or quick along with his arms. He is aware of and accepts who he’s, and that’s truly a extremely good factor, I believe. We’ve seen fighters attempt to tinker an excessive amount of and alter their in-ring DNA, and it simply doesn’t work. Jarrett Hurd is a current instance. Dance with what brung ya, because it had been.
I’d anticipate Jaime will battle Gabriel Rosado subsequent if he can’t get a title battle, and until he will get Demetrius Andrade, I wouldn’t anticipate a title battle. However the Andrade factor would actually be an incredible concept for Andrade if Golden Boy are keen to do it. I’m positive Matchroom and Andrade would, they’d have the arrogance that Andrade is just too slick and expert for Munguia, however Demetrius all the time has lulls and Jaime is perhaps relentless sufficient to take benefit.
I truly kinda love that concept, to be trustworthy, however I don’t anticipate it. For one factor, Golden Boy might be bracing for a move to working with Triller — although that’s definitely not set in stone — and if we’re all being very trustworthy, Golden Boy don’t convey lots to the desk proper now. Munguia is a key together with Ryan Garcia (who needs to be seen as a bit of little bit of a wild card proper now) and Vergil Ortiz Jr, and Munguia shedding to Andrade earlier than that transfer wouldn’t be nice. So if I had been betting, it’ll be Munguia-Rosado. Each need it, Rosado has referred to as for it for some time, and it’s pretty much as good and large a battle as it may be proper now.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr
Chavez is finished so far as something that issues. I can not overstate how little curiosity there may be in Chavez (52-5-1, 34 KO) at this level. For those who assume there nonetheless is a few as a result of he was on a pay-per-view Saturday, let’s clarify: This was a cheaply-produced, B-level pay-per-view. This was not a PBC or ESPN manufacturing or the like. This wasn’t DAZN. And simply since you put one thing behind a paywall doesn’t imply there have been lots of people paying to see it.
Greater than ever, Chavez, 35, is buying and selling off of his father’s title, in that he actually solely will get eyeballs now if his aged dad is doing an exhibition on the identical present. That’s been two of his final three fights, each losses. The opposite was a membership battle in Culiacan that no person watched. He doesn’t need to battle, places nearly no effort past the naked minimal in, and he can’t beat Mario Cazares or a 46-year-old non-boxer anymore. Curiosity in Chavez has flatlined. He took a serious hit when he was so terrible towards Canelo Alvarez; it wasn’t that he misplaced, it was that he didn’t attempt. Many of the remaining fan holdouts appeared to throw within the towel when he give up towards Daniel Jacobs in 2019. And any small pockets appear to have given up after his loss to Cazares, the place once more he mainly give up. I’m positive he’ll battle once more, however there actually isn’t even any title worth left in “Julio Cesar Chavez Jr” at this level. If he had been a musician, he’d be in his “Lou Gramm of Foreigner excursions county gala’s” stage.
Right here’s a veteran who’s not executed. His brutal one-punch knockout of Bektemir Melikuziev was the best second of his rugged, hard-fought profession, and the 35-year-old Philly vet nonetheless has a whole lot of grit and a whole lot of want to be within the ring. His profession has been mainly the other of Chavez Jr’s, they’re the identical age and have fought in the identical weight lessons principally, however Rosado (26-13-1, 15 KO) was by no means handed something from the beginning, by no means coddled, has had a whole lot of robust nights, however nonetheless has the drive, spirit, and dedication to go in there and provides his greatest.
It appears doubtless he’ll in all probability get that Munguia battle. Gabe’s been combating at 168 for his final three, however he wouldn’t name for the Munguia battle if he weren’t snug going again to 160 for it. He’s not a giant tremendous middleweight in any respect, it’s simply been the place he may get fights just lately.
Mayer retained her WBO 130 lb with a strong win over Erica Farias, a veteran who gave it an actual go early, however wound up out-boxed by Mikaela down the stretch.
Mayer (15-0, 5 KO) may bounce into the potential World Boxing Super Series tournament at 130, and realistically it’d in all probability be the very best factor if they’ll additionally get an excellent subject other than her. As a result of Mayer doesn’t have anybody fascinating to battle on ESPN. The opposite titlists at 130 (Terri Harper, Maiva Hamadouche, and Hyun Mi Choi) are all with Matchroom. The one different actually notable title at 130 is ex-lightweight titlist Delfine Persoon. I imply, there’s Eva Wahlstrom, however everyone knows how Mayer-Wahlstrom would go.
That is the final drawback the NEW!! technology of ladies’s boxing are operating into now: OK, you’ve executed these items. And now what? There nonetheless simply isn’t a deep pool of expertise and the choices get restricted in a short time. I don’t imply to crap on High Rank’s promotion of Mayer, they’ve executed a fantastic job, however her profession appears prone to stall the place it’s with them until she will be able to get one of many different titlists and/or Persoon. And if she will get Persoon and wins, then what?
Esparza gained her first world title on Saturday in El Paso, however shouldn’t have. I believed Ibeth Zamora (32-7, 12 KO) deserved the win in that battle, and the 97-92 and 96-93 Esparza playing cards had been significantly terrible. Esparza (10-1, 1 KO) appeared a bit of rattled by the booing from these in attendance on the announcement and in her post-fight interview, not in her phrases however in her demeanor.
Esparza, 31, is an efficient fighter, a legit contender, and is enjoyable to look at. She fights very emotionally, all the time has and possibly all the time will, and I believe a few of that bit her towards Zamora, however the judges gave it to her anyway. In a simply world, we get a rematch. Boxing doesn’t exist in a simply world, although. The largest battle could be a rematch with Seniesa Estrada, who has gained a belt at 105 and goes for one at 108 subsequent month.
Possibly we see that, however neither of them appear to be speeding to get to it, actually. In any other case Esparza says she needs unification. The opposite titlists at 112 are Debora Anahi Lopez (WBO), Leonela Paola Yudica (IBF), and Naoko Fujioka (WBA). Neither Fujioka nor Yudica have fought since 2019, and Fujioka is 45.
- Bektemir Melikuziev obtained a serious actuality examine from Rosado. Melikuziev (7-1, 6 KO) has all the time fought with a real vanity to his type and strategy, simply winging loaded-up photographs at over-matched opponents as a result of he was totally assured he really may simply bully everybody. It labored towards Rosado for a pair rounds, after which it didn’t, as a result of a veteran timed him and despatched his soul from El Paso to the moon for a second. “Bully Bek” has issues to work on. For those who’ve seen sufficient circumstances like this, and most of you’ve, it’s at greatest 50/50 that he’ll be capable of tighten up his sport and nonetheless be efficient.
- Isaac Dogboe and Adam Lopez placed on a barnburner on the High Rank card, with Dogboe getting a majority choice win, no actual controversy there. It was a really shut battle. Lopez (15-3, 6 KO) stays welcome on screens any time, he’s a fabulous TV fighter. Dogboe (22-2, 15 KO) is a contender at 126, a bizarre division for the time being, form of a large number, actually. Former titlist at 122, however he was small at 122, and is admittedly small at 126. However Dogboe has positively proven the Navarrete fights didn’t take his spirit. He’s nonetheless obtained a ton of battle in him.
- Angelo Leo obtained a win over Aaron Alameda on Showtime. Alameda (25-2, 13 KO) has misplaced two straight now, however he can battle. It’s too unhealthy he didn’t make weight for this one, that takes a little bit of zip out of the efficiency. If he can nonetheless battle at 126, hey, once more, that’s a large number of a division, go take a crack at it. Leo (21-1, 9 KO) is only a good, strong fighter. He’s nonetheless very a lot a participant at 122.
- Isaac Cruz beat Francisco Vargas, and for the way it performed out the scoring was honest, Vargas (27-3-2, 19 KO) has been a terrific fan favourite form of fighter however at 36 he’s about executed. That stated, Cruz (22-1-1, 15 KO) was wildly soiled on this battle and a referee who wasn’t James Inexperienced would have executed one thing about it sooner or later. Possibly it wouldn’t get to a DQ with a referee in management, as a result of Cruz may need stopped on warnings or deductions, but when he didn’t, he was at “needs to be DQ’d” degree. He may be an thrilling fighter and he’s clearly a troublesome competitor, however him blowing by way of Diego Magdaleno was the exception, not the rule. I don’t assume he’s any actual menace to the highest guys at 135. Possibly to their beanbags.
- Blair Cobbs is a really enjoyable fighter and did cease Brad Solomon, a firmly established strong gatekeeper. Cobbs (15-0-1, 10 KO) is tremendous flawed, and at 31 he’s flat-out too outdated to be referred to as a prospect. It’s not like he had some nice beginner profession or one thing. I nonetheless assume Blair “The Aptitude” goes to get the unhealthy goom from somebody. However you already know why I believe that’ll occur, partially? As a result of he involves throw down and provides an excellent present. He’s clearly conscious he’s not some superb defensive fighter or something, so he throws punches and comes at guys. He says he needs Jessie Vargas (29-3-2, 11 KO), and I like that concept. I believe Vargas wins, however hey, perhaps not. Jessie is 32, not at his best anymore, has been kinda half-in, half-out of boxing for a bit. If Cobbs brings warmth and Vargas doesn’t have the thoughts set for it on the night time, who is aware of? And I like that Blair needs to take the crack at somebody individuals know, too. He is aware of it’s time to attempt. It doesn’t matter what, Blair Cobbs is a superb TV fighter, welcome on any card I watch.