The US Grand Prix is a possible race that’s underneath sturdy consideration for the third dash qualifying trial this season.
System 1 is operating a brand new race weekend format at three occasions this yr, the place qualifying will happen on a Friday afternoon and set the grid for a dash race — referred to as dash qualifying — on Saturday. The results of dash qualifying then units the grid for the primary grand prix itself, with the intention to supply extra significant operating on every day of the race weekend.
The primary two races are already confirmed, with Silverstone internet hosting the primary trial on the July 16-18 British GP, after which Monza additionally being utilized in September. Nevertheless, the third venue is unconfirmed and had appeared prone to be Brazil, however RACER understands Austin is also chosen.
Circuit of The Americas is ready to take pleasure in a full crowd in late October and will doubtlessly host back-to-back races following the cancellation of the Singapore Grand Prix, however a dash qualifying format trial in Texas can also be underneath sturdy consideration.
F1’s managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn is eager for the ultimate race to be early sufficient within the season to keep away from a possible scenario the place a title could possibly be received within the dash quite than a grand prix.
“We had been attempting to keep away from that if I’m sincere, as a result of we don’t know but how profitable this format shall be and it could possibly be a title decider in the long run, in that the 3-2-1 factors that are scored on a Saturday might resolve it; however we most likely need to keep away from the title being selected a Saturday,” Brawn mentioned.
“If we went to the final race and one driver might win the championship on a Saturday by profitable a dash occasion…. That may be an added dimension, however I feel we’re simply attempting to keep away from it whereas we’re attempting to grasp how profitable it’s and what half it would play sooner or later.
“COVID is the complication, and we need to decide an occasion ideally just a few races earlier than the top of the season. We additionally need to decide tracks the place we predict the racing can happen in a brief format; there’s overtaking alternatives, possibly tracks the place somewhat little bit of tire degradation comes into play — not sufficient to make a pit cease essentially however sufficient to make it attention-grabbing in the direction of the top of the race — so these are the components we’re contemplating.
“Brazil is a risk and there are one or two others which might be a risk, however we’re taking a look at one thing earlier than the top of the season. I don’t assume we need to do the final race.”