Attempting to rearrange an interview with St. John Paul II senior Ashleigh Reen was far more troublesome that one would take into accounts.
Weekdays uncover her going by the use of her tutorial schedule, whereas after school she is immersed in observe with the Lions soccer workforce. And so far as weekends – there was a slim window for this social-conscious teenager, who spent final Saturday doing a neighborhood service downside collectively collectively along with her ladies’ soccer workforce.
“We’ve been renovating the sooner tennis courts behind the varsity. Weeding, decreasing down bushes, raking leaves,” she outlined. “It’s good to present as soon as extra, nonetheless it furthermore provides us an opportunity for some good workforce bonding.”
Being a part of a sports activities actions actions workforce has been a big focus for Ashleigh who, along with being a midfielder on the soccer workforce, is a ahead on the women’ basketball workforce and first baseman for the Lions’ softball workforce. She had been slated to captain the softball workforce final spring.
“The coach despatched me a letter apologizing that there wouldn’t be a (softball) season,” she well-known. “I used to be disillusioned, however I undoubtedly understood. Hopefully this spring we’ll have the ability to have a season.”
“Softball is certainly team-based, and every particular particular person feeds off the choice, and in no way having that neighborhood all by way of that point actually hurts, however I perceive,” she continued. “We now have to get nicely from this (pandemic) first, then we’re going to take into account sports activities actions actions.”
Ashleigh has been taught perseverance by the use of her mom Donna who, two years before now, was acknowledged with a ideas tumor.
“She’s persevered by the use of numerous challenges in her life,” stated Ashleigh. “Merely to see her vitality, nevertheless frequently there to lend a serving helpful – considerably to people who uncover themselves struggling. It’s actually an inspiration to me, in sports activities actions actions, in class and even in commonly life. I attempt to be that serving helpful to a special particular person.”
Donna has fully recovered, and on the equal time the message of giving has remained collectively collectively along with her daughter.
As Ashleigh seems to be to her future, with the hopes of attending faculty to vital in Chemical Engineering, her final focus shall be to parlay that into the occasion of environmentally good gives.
“As quickly as I was youthful, I be aware listening to concerning the folks of Flint, Michigan and the disaster there, and it was one issue that I used to be actually shocked with,” she stated. “These little ladies, the equal age as me, and so they additionally didn’t even have entry to ingesting water, and correct proper right here I used to be ingesting out of a plastic water bottle.”
“I point out, how fortunate was I? My dream is to enter chemical engineering, however then to utilize these expertise with a view to assist folks with ingesting water and nationwide sources, considerably in deprived communities,” she stated. “That’s what I have to do with my life, to be that change, and I wish to assist these individuals who can’t assist themselves.”
She constantly recollects the phrases of her mom which had been an inspiration to her.
“My mother frequently says, ‘Be the stealth.’ She has stated that to me repeatedly,” she stated. “It means to be the one who’s working all through the background however working exhausting. In a number of phrases, don’t go flaunting your achievements. It’s better to do work quietly for a superb goal, than to do it for bragging rights.”
Ashleigh Reen can be somebody who works quietly all through the background now, nevertheless when she goes to perform what she desires finally, she shall be remembered for reaching numerous good on this world.
20 Questions with Ashleigh Reen
1. Favourite matter: Chemistry
2. Favourite e guide: “A Courtroom docket of Thorns and Roses” by Sarah J. Maas
three. Favourite meals: Actually all fruit, considerably peaches.
four. Favourite film: “Tangled” and “Legally Blonde” – I can’t resolve!
5. Favourite TV present: “Brooklyn 99”
6. Favourite Cape restaurant: Nirvana Espresso Co.
7. Favourite Cape hangout: Agency Seashore
eight. Favourite sports activities actions actions workforce: Boston Crimson Sox
9. Favourite athlete: Lindsey Vonn
10. Favourite ‘pump-up” music: “Glamorous” by Fergie
11. Finest recommendation I’ve acquired: “Be the stealth.”
12. Specific individual I’d most want to fulfill: C. S. Lewis
13. Hobbies and pursuits: Going to the seashore, discovering out, baking, and getting espresso with buddies.
14. Personal best sports activities actions actions second: Stealing the ball from an opposing participant all by way of the center of an oblique kick.
15. Most inspirational particular particular person: My mother
16. Pregame rituals / superstitions: Hitting one of the best of the door before each recreation, pulling up my ponytail each time I’m nervous.
17. Bucket itemizing place to go to: Sweden
18. Largest sports activities actions actions setback or impediment: Straining my knee on the tip of the soccer season, then collaborating in basketball on it whereas furthermore going to bodily remedy.
19. Faculty plans / vital: Chemical engineering with a tilt into the occasion of environmentally good gives.
20. Recommendation to youthful athletes: Even while you assume you might be burnt out, there’s frequently extra to present.
Know somebody who’d be an very important candidate for the Barnstable Patriot’s 20 Questions function? Contact Mike Richard by e mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.