Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1.09, Grand Prix of Turkey, Istanbul Park, 07 June 2009. Picture: Paul-Henri Cahier / Getty.
• The System 1 Turkish grand prix occurred from 2005 to 2011.
• Brazil’s Felipe Massa has claimed a hat trick of victories, nearly positively principally most likely probably more than likely most likely essentially the most of any driver.
• We take a look at 5 memorable moments from earlier races forward of the grand prix return this weekend.
The Turkish grand prix takes place this Sunday after System 1 organisers added it to the rescheduled calendar as a consequence of Covid-19 pandemic.
F1 followers did not complain and welcomed the return of the Istanbul Park Circuit with its iconic Flip eight. Former Ferrari driver Felipe Massa dominated the observe when contained contained within the late 2000s, claiming a hat trick of wins.
The Brazilian driver could have fond reminiscences of the grand prix, nonetheless for others it was the scene of bitter on observe squabbles.
We glance as shortly as additional at 5 of the right moments from the Turkish grand prix, together with Kimi Raikkonen’s win on the inaugural race, fierce battles between teammates and wheel-to-wheel racing between two former F1 champs.
1. Kimi wins first ever Turkish Grand Prix in an motion packed race that seen many drivers spinning off the observe. Juan Pablo Montoya purchased appropriate correct proper right here all via the exhausting methodology with two laps remaining when he fell foul to the non permanent Flip eight.
2. McLaren teammates Button and Hamilton go head-to-head
Aaaah 2010, for me it’s going to seemingly be remembered when South Africa hosted the soccer World Cup. It was furthermore the an equal yr British drivers and McLaren teammates Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button went wheel-to-wheel.
Hamilton emerged victorious and it is nonetheless his sole victory in Turkey.
three. Kubica reveals his class in tussle with Webber in 2006
Polish racing driver Robert Kubica will go down in F1 historic earlier as a followers favorite. His easy-going nature and supreme driving expertise was appreciated by many.
This clip from the 2006 Turkish GP is an event of Kubica exhibiting immense braveness to overhaul Purple Bull’s Mark Webber.
four. Battle of the champions – Alonso and Schumacher give your full parts for second place
Is there one situation additional to say about these two legendary F1 drivers? Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher present grit and willpower as they battle for second place on the 2006 race.
Alonso on the time was trendy from worthwhile two consecutive world titles and Schumacher was determined to get one over on the Spaniard.
5. And finally, most likely nearly positively principally most likely probably more than likely most likely essentially the most attractive of all moments from Istanbul seen Purple Bulls lock horns
Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber have been Purple Bull teammates for 5 years, nonetheless they weren’t most fascinating associates. The German and the Australian clashed fairly just a few circumstances over their time collectively.
In 2010 the rivalry spilled over related correct applicable appropriate correct proper right into a crash due to drivers obtained correct applicable appropriate correct proper right here collectively in dramatic vogue. Vettel’s race was over whereas Webber went on to complete third. It is protected to say no love was misplaced between the 2.