France and Wales sit extreme of the standings as they each maintained their worthwhile begins to the Championship with slender victories over Eire and Scotland.
Defending champions England furthermore bounced as soon as extra from their defeat to Scotland as they ran in six tries within the course of Italy at Twickenham, together with Jonny May’s spectacular end.
England 41-18 Italy
After wanting blunt in assault in Spherical 1, England rediscovered their progressive within the course of Italy as Eddie Jones’ males secured a bonus-point win to get their title defence as soon as extra on monitor.
Head coach Eddie Jones highlighted the truth that his facet nonetheless have room for enchancment after the sport. The numbers as soon as extra that up as they completed with 14 unhealthy passes and 18 dealing with errors.
Nonetheless England have been clearly the dominant facet over the 80 minutes. Their Breakdown Have an effect on gave them administration of the match. From a whole of 109 rucks, England had 72 all through the Italian half. In assault, England’s Vitality Recreation was key. They made 321 metres after contact in contrast with 189 for the Italians.
Self-discipline continued to be a difficulty, with England conceding seven ruck penalties and 12 in full at HQ. Which can well worth the Crimson Rose territory and momentum within the course of the likes of Wales and France, so Jones could also be desirous to take care of that forward of their Spherical three journey to Cardiff.
For Italy, a return of two tries from 4 line breaks is a constructive for this youthful and rising facet. An 18-point haul within the course of this England group is an environment friendly return and presents them one issue to assemble on.
Scotland 24-25 Wales
This was a match that actually confirmed the excellence being scientific all through the 22 would possibly make.
Matchstats, powered by AWS, measure each time spent all through the opposition 22 and what number of parts are scored per Visits to the 22.
Scotland spent 7mins 33secs all through the Wales ‘pink zone’ in contrast with 1min 30secs for Wales.
Nonetheless Wales scored 4 tries to complete with a median of 4 parts per Visits to the 22 in contrast with merely two for Scotland.
Wales furthermore had extra line breaks resulting in tries. Their 5 line breaks resulted in three five-pointers whereas Scotland’s 9 line breaks resulted in only one.
Eire 13-15 France
Each groups had 2.5 parts per Visits to the 22 nonetheless France had six visits in contrast with 4 for Eire.
France’s tries acquired proper right here from good offloading, notably the primary.
Achieved at velocity and with the proper angles and go various, a superb offload may be very laborious to defend. Their first attempt in Dublin acquired proper right here from three offloads down the proper to open up house. France have succeeded with 21 offloads in full all through the opponents. It seems to be like their avid avid gamers are allowed to take dangers and that daring technique is paying off.
On the defensive facet of the ball, France lead with 14 Dominant Tackles. The Dominant Tackles Matchstat, powered by AWS, can flip the momentum in video video video games and with merely 4 Dominant Tackles every, Eire and Scotland will hope they will begin to have extra have an effect on on this home over the following three rounds.
Nonetheless when they will proceed to impress in key Matchstats in assault and defence, France will current sturdy to shift from their table-topping place.
Will Carling’s Staff of the Week
- Wyn Jones (Wales) – Adopted up his standout effectivity within the course of Eire with one completely different spectacular current, scoring a attempt, making 14 tackles and half a dozen carries.
- Julien Marchand (France) – A rock-solid effectivity from the France hooker, who racked up 63 metres from his 10 carries and made 12 tackles for Les Bleus.
- Kyle Sinckler (England) – Named Guinness Six Nations Participant of the Match on his return to the beginning line-up, the prop gave the Crimson Rose an excessive amount of go ahead with 13 carries for 40 metres.
- Maro Itoje (England) – Hardly gave Italy an inch on the breakdown, together with one steal, contributed to England’s good success cost on their very private lineout and made 11 tackles.
- Jonny Grey (Scotland) – With Scotland correct proper all the way down to 14 males, the lock stepped up as shortly as as quickly as additional with 11 carries for 52 metres whereas he furthermore made 9 tackles in a single completely different large defensive shift.
- Rhys Ruddock (Eire) – One amongst 4 modifications made by Andy Farrell, Ruddock slotted in at blindside comparatively than Peter O’Mahony and made a direct impression collectively alongside together with his sturdy carry stats.
- Tom Curry (England) – After a quiet effectivity within the course of Scotland, Curry was as soon as extra to his finest within the course of the Azzurri as he topped the Crimson Rose kind out rely and made 10 carries (44 metres).
- Gregory Alldritt (France) – Thought of considered one of many stars of France’s 2020 promoting advertising marketing campaign, Alldritt made a robust 14 carries for 99 metres within the course of Eire and racked up 15 tackles.
- Antoine Dupont (France) – Whereas he didn’t attain the same stratospheric ranges he achieved within the course of Italy, Dupont was nonetheless most certainly in all probability probably the most influential scrum-half of the spherical and was pivotal in France’s opening attempt together with incomes the match-winning turnover.
- Matthieu Jalibert (France) – Ross Byrne did appropriately when he acquired proper right here on for Eire nonetheless Jalibert’s invention for the second France attempt, scored by Damian Penaud, earns him the fly-half berth.
- James Lowe (Eire) – Had an infinite affect on among the best methods Eire carried out, with the Males in Inexperienced typically turning to him for his large boot, whereas he furthermore carried for 56 metres.
- Gael Fickou (France) – His stats could not do him justice nonetheless Fickou was on the coronary coronary coronary heart of a robust Les Bleus defence, with 10 tackles, and he was at all times a menace on the assault.
- Henry Slade (England) – A superb all-round effectivity from Slade, who made the joint-most carries for England (for 95 metres) and made two line breaks at Twickenham.
- Anthony Watson (England) – A tough establish between Louis Rees-Zammit and Watson nonetheless the latter merely edges it for scoring two tries and carrying a particular 160 metres.
- Stuart Hogg (Scotland) – A virtually flawless effectivity from the Scotland captain, who scored a brace and practically singlehandedly impressed his facet to back-to-back wins.
AWS Rugby Ambassador Will Carling is a former England Staff captain. Each week, he’ll share his insights and uncover the have an effect on of Matchstats – powered by AWS on every spherical of the Guinness Six Nations, together with deciding on his Staff of the Week.