Not even two months in the past, when Oscar Valdez scored a controversial (for just a few causes) win over Robson Conceicao, we wrote then that the winner of the Oct. 23 fight between Jamel Herring and Shakur Stevenson was the only real option for Valdez next, together with this bit:
High Rank have guided themselves to what Bob Arum appears to actually need, or no less than has been his focus since that Valdez win over Berchelt in February, which is Oscar Valdez vs Shakur Stevenson. They’ve aimed to maximise that by maneuvering to Herring-Stevenson, with the concept that Stevenson will win the WBO title and arrange a two-belt unification towards Valdez.
Stevenson did win on Saturday night, dominating Herring to claim that WBO title, which may now be unified with Valdez’s WBC belt.
Not a lot else has modified since then as to why it’s one of the best combat for each subsequent, so we’ll preserve this one brief and candy, and y’all can simply speak about it.
There’s no cause to not do Valdez-Stevenson — or Stevenson-Valdez, I don’t know what the advertising and marketing could be — as the following combat for each. There are causes it gained’t occur, as a result of that is boxing, however there’s no good cause to not do it.
- It’s an in-house combat for High Rank, so there must be no hassle truly making a deal if each are prepared.
- It’s one thing you may have the ability to stick on pay-per-view; not saying it’ll be a mega-blockbuster, however it has the elements to promote sufficient to make up for the truth that you most likely should pay fairly robust purses to get it carried out.
- Neither has a compulsory due or something.
- It’s very simply, very clearly the largest combat both of them can do, and by far the largest combat High Rank can get for both of them. There isn’t any “throughout the road” star to daydream about. That is the combat.
- There’s story you’ll be able to market right here. Valdez moved from 126 to 130 when Stevenson grew to become his WBO necessary at featherweight. Stevenson’s been chasing this, and Valdez has repeatedly stated he’s not operating from the combat, so now he can show it by taking it.
There may be merely nothing else for both of those guys to do at 130 that’s going to get anybody excited, and it’s clear that High Rank and ESPN need to make Stevenson a star. That requires Stevenson to stay as much as the hype, which he did on Saturday, and likewise requires good opponents, which Valdez could be.
Make the combat. This isn’t some ultra-mega-massive combat in a 12 months from now or 18 months from now. It’s large now and it’s as large because it’s getting. This isn’t a “marinating” state of affairs. Make the combat.