- Yuberjen Martinez (Colombia) def. Amit (India), 4:1: Amit got here in as the highest seed, however he didn’t get a straightforward pull right here, both, as Martinez was the 2016 silver medalist at gentle flyweight and brings monster stress. It was the stress of Martinez that put him by. Within the opening spherical, Amit appeared slick, assured on the counters, and he gained that spherical. However it took so much out of him, and that confirmed within the second when Martinez took it up one other notch, and by the third Amit was actually operating across the ring, stopping typically to attempt touchdown sufficient pokey pictures for the judges, then operating round once more. However the judges didn’t purchase it, and Yuberjen strikes on to the quarters.
- Ryomei Tanaka (Japan) def. Jianguan Hu (China), 3:1:1: Tanaka will get a considerably fortunate break right here, as Hu acquired lower within the second spherical; a number of cuts, truly, and so they despatched it to the playing cards, the place one choose had it even, one had it 20-18 for Hu, and three had it 20-18 for Tanaka. Tanaka gained three playing cards within the first and Hu spent a lot time in what we acquired of the second anxious in regards to the cuts that it was laborious to attain that one Hu’s manner. Dangerous break for Hu, as he appeared to definitely have the flexibility to win this, but it surely’s boxing.
- Shakhobidin Zoirov (Uzbekistan) def. Daniel Varela de Pina (Cape Verde), 5:0: Zoirov, the gold medalist from Rio 2016, was simply too expert, too elegant for de Pina, however the underdog gave this what he had, put the stress on as a lot as he may. Zoirov goes to be robust to beat once more, but when we get to a Martinez-Zoirov last, that could possibly be an actual hoot.
- Carlo Paalam (Philippines) def. Mohamed Flissi (Algeria), : No. 4 seed Flissi goes down in his first struggle in Tokyo. He’s a three-time Olympian now and has come up wanting the medal rounds each trip. Right here, he bumped into an excellent younger fighter from the Philippines, who simply placed on a well-schooled, tighter efficiency right here, dictating the struggle from the get-go. The Filipino staff appears to get higher each Olympics, you’ll be able to’t overstate how a lot the professional success of Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, and so many others has meant to the funding in and dedication to boxing there, it appears.
- Keyshawn Davis (United States) def. Sofiane Oumiha (France), RSC: Pay attention, I’m rooting for Davis. I’m thrilled that he gained, and he appeared good. I feel he’s the most effective gold medal hope throughout both of the USA squads, and beating the No. 1 seed and 2016 silver medalist isn’t any joke in any respect, that is nice. However I feel the referee stopped this too quickly, man. I actually do. Oumiha is a terrific boxer and it’s not like he was staggering round or lower or one thing. Davis compelled a standing eight with an ideal proper hand within the second spherical, the referee gave the rely, then stopped it. Oumiha was heartbroken, clearly, and Davis was an actual gentleman; sure, he celebrated, however he additionally paid his respects to an excellent opponent who might have gotten the shaft a bit right here. However hey, the referee is the one proper there trying straight into Oumiha’s eyes, and we all know the officers prioritize security over every thing on the Olympics. Davis strikes on to the quarters. Really feel for Oumiha, but in addition, USA! USA! USA!
- Gabil Mamedov (Russian Olympic Committee) def. Richarno Colin (Mauritius), 5:0: I believed Colin acquired the shaft a bit within the first spherical, the place he did some good work however 4 judges gave it to Mamedov. However Mamedov did win the second and third rounds, I don’t have an issue with the result. Mamedov’s an excellent fighter, will probably be one other robust matchup for Davis within the quarters.
- Hovhannes Bachkov (Armenia) def. Javid Chalabiyev (Azerbaijan), 4:1: An absolute battle of a struggle. First spherical went to Chalabiyev on 4 playing cards, however Bachkov’s fixed stress and simply being higher on the fashion they established within the first put him by within the latter two rounds. He’s an actual handful, only a hell of a fighter. Definitely not essentially the most technically sound man you’ll see in Tokyo, however a warrior.
- Elnur Abduraimov (Uzbekistan) def. Bakhodur Usmonov (Tajikistan), 5:0: 4-seed Abduraimov simply too good right here, didn’t have a lot actual bother with Usmonov, and will probably be a tough fashion matchup for Bachkov, however Bachkov principally fights the a method so it’ll both work or not. Is determined by how Abduraimov offers with the stress, actually. Some good prime half quarters set at light-weight, although.
Ladies’s middleweight (Quarterfinals)
Winner assured at the least a bronze medal.
- Lauren Value (Nice Britain) def. Atheyna Bylon (Panama), 5:0: One choose gave Bylon the third, however aside from that it was all Value on the playing cards, and it was all Value within the ring. Simply by no means actually aggressive, not even shut. Prime seed Value too technically sound and too good for Bylon.
- Nouchka Fontijn (Netherlands) def. Tammara Thibeault (Canada), 5:0: Fontijn will medal at a second straight Olympics after profitable silver in 2016. She faces Value within the semifinal, loser getting bronze. Thibeault’s finest spherical was the primary; I believed she misplaced that, however 4 judges did see it her manner and it was shut, however then Fontijn simply took over within the second and third rounds, no debate on the winner right here.
Ladies’s featherweight (Semifinal)
- Nesthy Petecio (Philippines) def. Irma Testa (Italy), 4:1: Testa swept the primary spherical, and it appeared her superior peak and attain have been going to provide Petecio suits. However the Filipina boxer bit down, adjusted, and took the struggle to Testa, sweeping the second spherical and placing all of it on the road within the third. Testa nonetheless couldn’t determine what to do with the aggression of Petecio within the third, however she did muddy it up some with holding, and that satisfied the Argentine choose to go the Italian’s manner within the third. However the others went — rightly, for my part — to Petecio, who now strikes on to struggle for gold, whereas Testa will go residence with a bronze.